What is not to love about healing in a resort setting? Numerous drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers across the United States are designed to make your recovery as easy as possible. A luxurious mansion or hotel may seem like the ideal place to recuperate after enduring the pain of addiction.
Luxury rehab may not be right for everyone. The most costly facilities may focus on expensive amenities but skimp on the psychological work that is essential for long-term recovery.
What is Luxury Rehab?
Luxury rehab centers offer a relaxing and comfortable approach to alcohol and drug rehabilitation. Luxurious rehab centers are known for providing luxurious surroundings and gourmet food as well as vacation-like activities to help patients recover.
Luxury rehab centers can be expensive, with prices starting at $40-$80k per month. This makes it feel like you are on vacation at a luxurious resort. Many patients will have access to a swimming pool, a massage therapist, and other activities such as horseback riding or helicopter rides. There is still a strong emphasis on helping patients recover from alcohol or drug addiction.
Luxury rehab centers often combine evidence-based treatments with luxury amenities and other services. Patients might be able to choose their own, therapist. Other treatment options, such as music therapy, acupuncture and, animal-assisted therapies, may be available.
Is Luxury Rehab more effective than other models?
Some people say that luxury rehabilitation has a lower success rate than other types of rehabilitation, which is not supported by research. Patients may feel more at ease and relaxed in luxury settings. However, others say that it is too easy to skip the emotional work involved in true healing.
You may be interested in a retreat-style program that offers a different type of treatment.
What are the pros and cons of luxury rehab?
You will feel like you’re on a luxury vacation with beautiful resort-like settings and luxurious activities. And you’ll come back with lots of great memories. As one would expect, this will be reflected in the price.
Luxury rehab has its advantages and disadvantages, however.
- Privacy. Luxury rehabilitation centers claim to offer unparalleled levels of privacy. Celebrities who are struggling with alcohol or drug abuse often choose luxury treatment centers to escape the media.
- Individualized treatment. Luxury treatment centers pride themselves on offering more options within their 12-step process. You might be able to choose your therapist or access other treatments such as animal-assisted therapies or acupuncture.
- Unmatched comfort. Even the most wealthy will feel at home in this luxurious rehab center. The finest quality linens and furnishings will be used, as well as exceptional service. You may have your food prepared by top chefs. Patients like you will likely be willing to spend more money and take longer to recover.
- Relaxation. Activities and luxury amenities may temporarily ease anxiety and depression. Participants may find it easier to relax and feel more at ease, which can help them heal.
- Enjoy the most relaxing amenities. Luxury rehab centers often offer spa treatments as well as fun activities such as horseback riding or hang gliding. Many of the same activities will be available for relaxing vacations.
- A higher price does not mean better therapy. Luxury amenities can cost more than the cost of luxury rehab. Luxury costs more than therapy and rehabilitation.
- Luxury can be a distraction. Many patients who return from luxury rehab claim that they were not given the necessary treatment. You can spend more time on vacation and in spas than you do on emotional healing.
- Focus on healing. Luxury rehab facilities generally don’t teach patients how to continue their healing. To truly heal, you must keep going after you return to your normal life. Luxury rehab may also require less time for individual counseling and workshops.
- Too much self-direction. Patients may not have the ability to choose between different types or decide how many sessions they require. In the name of individual treatment, if your rehab program does not allow patients to make these decisions, you could end up choosing options that are more comfortable than you need.
What are the alternatives to luxury rehab?
There are three main types of rehab centers for drug and alcohol addiction: institutional, luxury, and retreat-style. Now let’s take a look at some alternatives to the Luxury approach.
Rehab in Institutions
The cheapest option is to go to an institution for rehabilitation. The least expensive option is the one that offers lower quality food and a more attractive environment. Patients also have multiple roommates and may be subject to frequent interruptions. With little left for comfort and extracurricular activities, the 12-step program focuses on alcohol and drug rehabilitation.
The cost of institutional rehab programs is usually determined by what insurance covers, which includes Medicare and Medicaid. This approach allows rehab to be more affordable, but it can also mean that facilities may not have been designed based on research that shows the best program and success rates.
You will share dorm-style rooms with patients from all walks and ages in institutional rehab. You may be around people who are less motivated to heal. Some patients in institutional rehab are there only because they were ordered by the court to receive treatment. They are not serious about their recovery.
You will likely have at most one roommate. This can cause a lot of distractions depending on who you choose. In extreme cases, patients may have active drug use and other problems. Some people feel less secure in low-cost rehab settings.
Institutional treatment focuses mainly on drug and alcohol rehabilitation using the 12-step method. It may not address any underlying mental or emotional problems. However, some people do experience successful treatment.
Rehab in Retreat-Style
A retreat-style rehab facility is another option that’s less well-known. It bridges the gap between luxury and low-cost rehabilitation. These centers provide a private, quiet, secure, and private environment with fewer distractions. You can spend your time and resources on real therapy, rather than luxury amenities.
A retreat-style drug rehab center is expensive and can cost anywhere from $20,000 to $40,000 per month. This makes it less likely that you will be around people who don’t want to be there. A private room is more desirable. These centers can be just as private and secure as luxury rehab centers.
Luxury facilities are more expensive than retreat-style facilities. In between intensive therapy sessions, there will be relaxation opportunities such as reading, meditation, yoga, and other similar activities. Patients will not be able to enjoy the same vacation-like experience that luxury retreat centers offer.